Wiring Issues

Called by the homeowner as the house lights were continually blowing fuses. We investigated and noted that the home had been left in a very unsafe condition. The home lights had been a problem in the past and an "electrician" had removed the lights from the protected RCD circuits and installed a new fuse box to remove nuisance tripping.
  • The home had a TT earth system, with a very-high unstable electrode-resistance
  • The home had pre-1965 wiring with no earthing cable (cpc) in the lighting circuits
  • The home had metal light fittings that were not class II rated

The above conditions meant that to be safe, ALL circuits had to protected by 30mA RCD. The previous "electrician" should have upgraded the protection, not removed it. This meant that the metal light fittings could have given the home owner's family a fatal electric shock.

During our checking we found the junction box opposite that was left by the builders doing a loft-conversion, the reason for the RCD tripping in the first place was a shared neutral. So the home owner was hoodwinked twice by cowboys. The homeowner did not receive either of the two required certificates.

Using the cheapest quote without basic checks can cause a lot of heartache.

“There were multiple mistakes by an "electrician" that resulted in this call-out.

The cable was originally installed at 4mm. When a new shower was installed, it had a far greater Kw rating than the old one, from 6Kw to 9.5Kw. The new shower started to trip the MCB, the installer returned and replaced the MCB with a 45A fuse. Added to this he did not install the isolating switch correctly.

The above conditions meant that to be safe, ALL circuits had to protected by 30mA RCD. The previous "electrician" should have upgraded the protection, not removed it. This meant that the metal light fittings could have given the home owner's family a fatal electric shock.

The result was a cable that now behaved more like a heating element when the shower was on, why this did not lead to a house fire is purely down good old plain luck. The good luck element was that the isolation switch stopped working so we were called to investigate and noticed the dangerous installation. The homeowner did not receive either of the two required certificates.